|Subject||Age/level and price|
Primary Age - £40 - 60min
KS1 - £40 - 60min
KS2 - £40 - 60min
Student Preparation - £40 - 60min
Ages 5 - 7 - £40 - 60min
Ages 8 - 11 - £40 - 60min
|National College of School Leadership||NPQH||Master|
|University of Greenwich||PGCE||Bachelor||1st|
|University of Bradford||BSc Sociology and Social Psychology||Bachelor||2:1|
|Inter Psyche/NHS||Dartford||Diploma in Counselling||Bachelor|
So you want some additional tuition for your primary-aged child – great!
But what things are important to you in choosing the right tutor for your child?
You could hire a local University student cheaply…surely, they will know and be able to teach your child what they need, right? After all, they passed their A Levels recently, so they are ‘in touch’ with school life and what children need….aren’t they?
Or do you consider any of the following as the minimum?
Actual recent or current experience as a teacher?
Knowledge of the National Curriculum?
Enhanced DBS check?
Well, a qualified teacher is a step in the right direction for sure. The curriculum knowledge a qualified teacher can bring can be priceless in supporting your child towards their academic goals.
What is the Top Tutor 4 U difference then?
1. I have 25 years’ experience in the teaching profession as Teacher, Deputy Head, Headteacher and returning to current classroom teaching experience, as children’s development and education is my true passion.
2. I have been an established and well-regarded private tutor for 8 years, amassing many successful outcomes for primary pupils in SATs and GL/CEM 11+/Selection tests. My knowledge and experience of what works in regard to these assessments can guide you as a parent while nurturing your child’s skills in the strategies and techniques to give of their best in the test.
3. I have an NHS accredited counselling skills qualification and a keen interest in the coaching and motivational approach to learning. I know that any learning challenge is as much about mindset, anxiety management and test technique as it is about ‘ability’. Within my tuition, children are slowly and steadily encouraged to take more control of their own learning and mindset as they are supported to develop the skills to do so. This means that your investment in their learning will support them in the broadest sense by developing their work ethic and ability to drive through challenges throughout their school and working life.
4. I have personal and professional experience in working with children with a range of neurodiversities, including ASD/Autism, ADHD, Anxiety issues and Dyslexia. Although I cannot profess to have a specific qualification in any of these specific areas, my 25 years teaching experience has afforded me plenty of strategies to use to support the different needs of different students.
5. My skills and experience are Top Tutor 4 U’s greatest asset and I know that the development of a trusting, supportive rapport is all important in nurturing a learner’s confidence and willingness to take learning risks and make valuable mistakes. A one-size-fits-all computer programme like some faceless (sometimes not even teaching qualified) franchise owners use in the name of ‘tuition’ can never match the targeted and dynamic professional support I can provide.
Should I choose individual tuition or group tuition for my child?
There are benefits to both types of tuition, so it really depends on your child and how you feel they would work best. Top Tutor 4 U offers both types of tuition, to suit every need and preference.
Small group tuition (3-6 students) offers these benefits:
*A group dynamic means children share knowledge and ideas can learn from others’ mistakes and successes.
*A group approach can increase the confidence of more introverted students while supporting the naturally confident student in their preferred social context.
*Needing to articulate ideas so others can understand supports and consolidates learners’ own understanding over again. We say, “When you explain, you expand your brain!”
*Using a ‘hive mind’ and speaking and listening skills improves creativity when exploring a new challenge. This can feel less pressured than having to find the entire solution individually.
*Having the opportunity to use and develop interpersonal skills to work both independently and within a team is a skill which is highly valued by employers.
*A cost saving when compared to one-to-one individualized tuition.
Individual, one-to-one tuition offers these benefits:
*A personalized and tailored approach meaning learning is adjusted to meet the individual needs of the student
*Completely dedicated time to fill gaps from school that may positively impact immediately back at school or stretch and extend learning to give a child a ‘head start’ and therefore boost their confidence in the subject matter.
*Dedicated time to explore a question/question type in depth with support, before being asked to try independently.
*The rate of new learning is matched to the student’s particular needs, ensuring that they are pushing beyond their comfort zone, yet not into the stress zone.
*Bespoke resources can be used on an individual basis.
What happens when I contact you?
a) We schedule a 10-minute needs assessment meeting or phone call, where we can discuss your child’s needs, your aims for tuition for them and plan the best approach.
b) I evaluate availability of session times and/or group tuition focuses to suit your child’s need and we agree a way forward. I also send you information and helpful paperwork about Top Tutor 4 U.
c) Your child attends a ‘Pay as you go’ initial session at an agreed date and time to establish that Top Tutor 4 U tuition is the right match for your child.
d) If you and your child are content to work with me, a bank transfer is made in advance for the half term to secure your child’s space in a group or individual session, (just as you do for many other extra-curricular activities).
The choice is yours!
You could choose any number of ways or a franchise (which may not even be run by a qualified teacher) to provide private tuition for your child.
However, if you are interested in finding out how my experience and expertise can best meet your child’s needs, do drop me a message to arrange your 10-minute needs assessment call. It will be my pleasure to formulate a plan with you to enhance your child’s future.
I can’t wait to help your child on their learning journey!