British-born English Speaker, Qualified Teacher in my 30s with 7 years experience - ready to help your child succeed with FUN + FOCUS!
I have proficiently provided engaging, encouraging, enjoyable lessons for over 150 students, 1-to-1 or small groups.
My area of expertise is that I have prepared students for entry into 24 Eleven Plus schools with over 90% success rates, covering English, Maths, Verbal Reasoning, and Non-Verbal Reasoning also 13+ English (listed below).
Successful results have been achieved through a combination of:
1. Each child’s hard work and ability
2. Parental support and collaborative communication with me as the tutor
3. My tailoring teaching according to a child’s individual needs - academically, considering factors such as subject strengths and struggles, learning style and preference and also their personal well-being, by working to support them with any learning difficulties or mental/physical health conditions they may have.
4. Mindset coaching I offer, as well interview coaching if required. I am a certified Breath Coach and have also been practicing Meditation and Mindfullness daily, for one and a half hours, since 14 years. I successfully help children overcome issues such as anxiety, stress, concentration problems and lack of confidence, using these methods.
5. Exam time management techniques, practice papers and questions and strategy
1) Henrietta Barnett School for Girls
2) Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School for Boys
3) Latymer Upper & Godolphin Latymer
4) Bexley Grammar School & Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar School
5) Newstead Wood School for Girls
6) Kew House
7) Francis Holland School
8) Queensgate college
9) Merchant Taylors
10) Haberdashers’ Aske’s Boys’
11) St Albans Boys
12) North London Collegiate
13) Dame Alice Owen
14) Royal Russel
16) Belmont School
17) Emanuel School
18) Mill Hill School
19) Channing School
20) Northbridge House
21) Eltham College
22) Trinity School
23) Sevenoaks School
24) SW Herts Consortium
I also tutored children in General English (Years 3-11, ages 7-16) and Maths (Years 3-6 only, ages 7-11), including English Language GCSE, not Literature (mainly AQA Exam Board). I am adept in reading, comprehension, creative writing, spelling, punctuation and grammar.
I have 2 years online tutoring experience using the Zoom video platform.
As a Former Teacher of 4 years, I taught hundreds of KS2 children, 7-11 years old in Years 3 to 6, in London Schools and achieved my Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) at an OFSTED Outstanding School in North London.
I attained my Primary PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education) from UCL Institute of Education (IOE) - the Number 1 University for Education worldwide, in London.
I teach in line with the National Curriculum and to simultaneously help young people develop a growth mindset, as Stanford Professor Carol Dweck promotes and teaches so well. This encourages them to be independent, resilient, confident individuals, with bright futures ahead of them, who feel motivated to make a unique difference in this world!
For my Secondary Education, I successfully passed my Eleven Plus exam and attended a Girls Grammar School in Kent. There, I attained 10 A* and an A for my GCSEs and 3 A grades at A-Level, in Biology, Chemistry and Maths.
After my school years, I worked as a Dentistry Student for 4 years, then became a Pharmacy Technician for 4 years and moved on to be a Teacher for 4 years.
The first career transition from Dentistry at King’s College London to Pharmacy Technician at London NHS Hospitals, was because I had an accident on holiday in Switzerland whilst mountain carting. It left me with a chronic lower back pain condition, which made Dentistry no longer physically possible to pursue as a career.
I graduated with a BSc Honours in Dental Studies as I passed the first 3 years with Distinctions, even though I could not finish the 5-year Degree, due to my accident.
Unexpectedly, through becoming a Tutor in 2014, I discovered my calling - teaching.
In March 2019, I chose to Tutor full time as there is little time in schools, to offer feedback.
However, John Hattie, an education professor, states,
The most powerful single modification that enhances achievement, is feedback.
Therefore tuition is essential - to provide that one-to-one feedback for improvement, which students often do not get in schools.
My Teaching Philosophy: Holistic Education, Combining Self Development and Academics
I completed a Life Coaching course at University of Cambridge and through sharing what I am also continually learning from my own coaches and mentors, I have been a Life Coach for 9 years, helping ladies to empower themselves, overcome limiting beliefs and achieve their personal, relationship and career goals.
I help my students and coaching clients in Life Skills, to grow a motivational mindset and actively apply it, to:
1. Personal Wellbeing: Spiritual/Self Development, Mental/Physical Health
3. Work or School/Further Studies
Therefore I am a Holistic Educator and Coach.
I teach my students and coaching clients tips, tools and techniques for:
- time management, goal-setting
- anger/stress management and controlling emotions like fear, worry and anxiety
- confidence and developing a resilient growth mindset to deal with difficulties, failures and challenges
- prioritising, problem-solving and productivity tips to avoid procrastination
- questioning and communication skills
My Teaching Philosophy: Using Metacognition and Feedback to Achieve Goals
I teach my students and coaching clients 'metacognition': thinking about their thinking and learning to learn. I identify their gaps in learning/misconceptions, make them aware of WHAT they need to improve on, provide accessible help on HOW they can improve and MODEL/CLARIFY what success looks like.
Effective feedback connects my students to the three foundational aspects of achieving their academic goals:
1) Where am I going? (What is my goal?)
2) How am I going? (Where am I at now? What am I doing well? What is holding me back?)
3) Where to next? (What do I need to do to progress from where I am now to achieving my goal?)
My Teaching Style: Focused and Fun and a Personal Approach to Tutoring
With a personality that is warm, friendly, adventurous and animated, I’m able to engage my students in a way that lessons are not only focused on academic progress but also interactive, exciting and enjoyable. When we enjoy ourselves we learn better, we remember what we learn and we can apply our learning dynamically, with confidence.
I also like to get to know my students - their hobbies, interests, favourite books, films etc because I place the development of a tutor-student relationship mutual trust and respect, first and foremost. Therefore I ensure I am up-to-date on any of their significant life events, as well as in-tune with any important thoughts/feelings on their mind, as this all effects learning. I believe this is a more, authentic, friendly and successful approach to education.
A little more about me and what I like doing outside of teaching and coaching:
- Spending time with family and friends
- Avid Reader
- Writing (especially poetry – 1000 rhyming poems written since 2016)
- Cooking from a variety of cultures and cuisines
Successful people don’t do different things, they do things - differently.
My aim is to help my students achieve their academic goals and love learning, through independent thinking, confidence, resilience, determination and enthusiasm. What makes me different from many tutors is that I also prepare my students for life outside the four walls of a classroom. By remembering and applying what I teach, they can keep evolving their potential every day, be happy and successful and help others too, to make a difference in this world.
BSc Honours, PGCE, QTS and Life Coaching Qualifications